Wednesday, April 14, 2010

GAMES for my students

Using the GAME plan is a new name for a very similar technique that teachers have employed for years. Modifying and adjusting our plans and activities was the old term but now it is referred to as a GAME plan requiring a more official acronym but basically meaning the same.
Therefore following through with a GAME plan should not be difficult even for the most OLD SCHOOL teacher and this is refreshing for me as I have many OLD SCHOOL colleagues and I am tired of “fighting” them to get them to do the right thing for their students and themselves. The convenient part for us as teachers when trying to incorporate the NETS-S standards is that the Teachers (NETS-T) standards are similar and can be carried out regardless of the curriculum we teach.

My goal is to have a realistic outlook and start small. The ideas and stories that we saw teachers and students working on in the video clips are experienced people and we should not assume that we can start off just like that.

For example, when planning to introduce photostories, my suggestion or action plan will be to start with some simple photostories of my content and use them in classrooms to introduce a lesson or new concept. This way the students are seeing what am modeling and can have some ideas or examples to follow. I will follow up on my plan by making sure that I begin the photostory process myself with lessons or introductions and break my students in gradually, although in this day, the students would probably prefer not to suffer through my work and hop right on up to the plate and get cracking!

4 comments:

  1. Lori,
    We have that kind of teacher at my school too. So it is good that the standards can included in the curriculum. They don't know what they are missing without the technology included in the instruction.

    I think you hit the point when you said start small and have a realistic outlook. I think just the little steps will help the student.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. James M. to Lori,

    Hi Lori, I wrote about the same idea on Jim's blog post, but I think it is applicable to all of us... and it is this, " how do we get our students next year that we pass on to keep using the tools we taught them from the previous year?" I think the trick to reaching our colleagues who are struggling to implement technology will be to provide them with students who are already trained. I know I can pass on a lot of my knowledge to my students, who can take this to their teachers next year...but how do we get next years teachers to use the skills the kids have been taught? Group meetings? A shared electronic portfolio between all grades? Any other ideas to get the collaboration going?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori to James-

    I agree passing on trained and eager students is the key! We have done just what you suggested at my school with a shared file of activities. We even broke it down to separate indicators within the standards, it has been a great help. Another suggestion I have is to not push too much too fast on the less technology based faculty.

    Our state just required us all to take another proficiency exam. It was difficult -- I must admit! I was ashamed to make only an 86 and I am working on my Masters in integrating technology -- so I could see how this stressed out some teachers that have not taken these courses. I do think however it did send a message to those teachers that they need to be taking courses or consider getting out because it is the expectations so they can not put it off any longer!

    LORI POWERS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim to Lori

    I really like your passion on the subject of preparing your kids and using technology. I have faced a lot of the same struggles this year with trying to get collegues to use more technology and teach skills that other teachers expect the students to be taught in the previous year.

    ReplyDelete